November 2001 – put rail in front of church
January 2004 – bought new tables and chairs for Sunday School classes
June 2004 – bought new songbooks, but new sign on Heardsville Road
August 2004 – organ donated to church
September 2004 – recarpeted fellowship hall
April 2005 – reroofed church
October 2005 - installed vinyl cornice and siding on church
September 2006 - replaced broken marble with wood around tables
Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church
1881-2006
Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church
Celebrated 125 Years!
Counter
November 1881 – appointed committee to draft plan and find place for church
April 1882 – appointed September for Communion and foot washing
April 1886 – moved Communion to 5th Sunday in May
November 1887 – called Rev. Sparks & Rev. Harden as joint supply
October 1888 – changed meeting days to 3rd Sunday and Saturday before
March 1894 – changed meeting days back to 4th Sunday and Saturday before
December 1894 – voted to change meeting days to 2nd Sunday and Saturday
before
October 1895 – voted to change meeting days back to the 4th Sunday and
Saturday before
September 1896 – built door steps to church house
July 1903 – repaired church house
June 1905 – 1st time we got delegates; the moderator appointed the first delegate
and they each appoint the next one
June 1909 – changed conference to 2:00 pm
August 1909 – had conference and did not finish so adjourned till next Saturday at
3:00
September 1909 – changed conference to 11:00 on Saturday
January 1912 – cut dead trees around church
August 1913 – built steps again
October 1913 – worked on the spring
October/November 1914 – put in windowpanes
August 1921 – cut timber off grounds to make benches to seat the house
January 1924 – cut timber off property
January 1924 – cut timber off property
February 1924 – recovered the house
September 1924 – painted roof of house
November 1928 – bought stove for church
April 1933  - went back to the old way of washing feet on 4th Sunday in May
September 1933 – discontinued the communion services in the fall
March 1934 – repaired and painted the house
August 1934 – bought 2 lamps
February 1935 – cut timber to re-seat the house
August 1935 – old seats turned over to Sewell Cemetery
May 1937 – changed conference from 11:00 – 2:00
October 1937 – collected $7.00 to buy organ
December 1939 - appointed committee to purchase a piano
November 1940 – recovered church
February 1941 – appointed committee to oversee wiring the house
March 1945 – sold 1½ acres of land and used money to fence and improve
Sewell Cemetery
April 1946 - painted church
May 1946 – Sunday School started
August 1948 – worked on cemetery
April 1951 – built steps for pool
March 1954 – fixed shelter in front of church
April 1954 – repaired church
October 1945 – sold timber off church property and covered church house
April 1946 - painted church
May 1946 – Sunday School started
April 1951 – built steps for pool
March 1954 – fixed shelter in front of church
June 1954 – sold the windows and took down shade tree
September 1954 – installed heaters
October 1955 – new benches installed in front of church in memory of Jonah
Chadwick
September 1956 – got 2 heaters for church
October 1956 – got collection plates
February 1957 – painted walls of church
March 1957 – set out shade trees on west side of church
June 1957 – bought song books
August 1958 – worked on spring and brought water to church house
June 1959 – bought new pump for spring
June 1954 – sold the windows and took down shade tree
October 1955 – new benches installed in front of church in memory of Jonah
Chadwick
September 1956 – got 2 heaters for church
October 1956 – got collection plates
February 1957 – painted walls of church
March 1957 – set out shade trees on west side of church
June 1957 – bought song books
August 1958 – worked on spring and brought water to church house
June 1959 – bought new pump for spring
September 1959 – repaired benches and took carpet off floor
January 1960 – committee to oversee building 3 Sunday School rooms on
front of church
November 1960 –changed preacher calling to the 4th Saturday in August instead
of September
March 1961 – put some lights outside and repaired roof
April 1961 – bought new song books
May 1964 – repaired church and painted
August 1964 – put light outside
June 1965 – painted inside of church
September 1965 – fixed wall in front yard of church and paved walkway to door
September 1965 – repaired pool and put top over it
October 1965 – redrew plans for Sunday School rooms – 4 instead of 3
December 1965 –moved conference to 4th Saturday night
April 1966 – graveled church yard
October 1966 – change conference back to Saturday afternoon at 2:00
January 1967 – installed central heating
March 1967 – finished Sunday School rooms
June 1967 – repaired pump
December 1967 – new door locks
January 1969 – bought new piano
March 1969 – bought new oak benches, pulpit chairs and communion table
June 1969 – painted inside of church and refinished floors
August 1969 – changed services from 1st and 3rd Sunday night to 2nd and
4th Sunday
September 1970 – graded yard
October 1970 – changed conference to 7:00
February 1971 – changed conference back to 7:30
April 1971 – decided to have conference at 8:00 during summer months
April 1972 – painted the church
September 1972 – changed conference back to 7:30
March 1973 – repaired the church
February 1974 – cut some timber off grounds
April 1974 – decided to have communion service all in morning
August 1974 – put signs on road in front of church
September 1974 – bought safe for clerk to keep books in
October 1974 – bought song books and finished upstairs Sunday School rooms
December 1974 – insulated ceiling of church
February 1975 – put hand rail on steps on side of church
March 1975 – 1st Easter Sunrise Service and moved conference to 8:00
through summer
September 1975 – repaired the church and poured walkway around church
September 1975 – moved conference to 8:00 through winter
June 1976 – painted church inside and out
July 1976 – air conditioned church
October 1976 – put carpet in alter and aisles
September 1976 – moved conference back to 7:30 for winter months
September 1977 – decided to have conference at 7:30 all the time
March 1979 – had Sunday School rooms covered
July 1979 – bricked church
September 1979 – installed new windows
December 1979 – painted church
November 11, 1979 – had all day service for laying the cornerstone after
church was bricked
January 1980 – put cushions on benches
February 1980 – put stained glass windows in church; added stoops on side
of building in memory of Keith Sewell
February 1981 – 1st spring revival held on 4th Sunday night in April
August 1981 – worked on front doors
September 1981 – put steeple on church in memory of A.W. West
October 1981 – held Centennial celebration
November 1981 – took down 2 old trees
January 1982 – decided to hook to county water
February 1982 – moved spring revival to 3rd Sunday night in April
March 1982 – repaired roof over Sunday School rooms
August 1982 – built wheel chair ramp into church, built wall above table and
poured floor around table
August 1983 – drilled well
October 1983 – asphalted church yard
September 1984 – cut dead trees
April 1985 – built fellowship hall with Sunday School rooms
November 1985 – built new baptizing pool
November 1985 – decided to elect Sunday School teachers in conference
with election held in December
December 1985 – began bible study on 2nd and 4th Sunday nights
August 1986 – began youth services on 5th Sundays
December 1986 – decided to bring a covered dish to each conference at 6:00
March 1987 – finished basement of fellowship hall
April 1987 – decided to discontinue lunch on Communion Day
July 1987 – remodeled inside of church
November 1987 – put in new stained glass windows
January 1988 –decided to have all day meeting on 4th Sunday in May, Communion, foot
washing in morning, lunch and singing in afternoon
February 1988 – decided to have joint revival with New Harmony
July 1988 – bought new songbooks
February 1990 – repaired roof over tables
January 1989 – Youth group started, elected JoAnn and Eston Collett as directors
April 1989 – voted to go full time and have church every Sunday
May 1990 – painted roof over table
September 1991 – put ceiling in overhead of tables
January 1992 – painted basement of fellowship hall
May 1993 – discontinued annual singing in
July
September 1993 – got county water, painted outside of church and
fellowship hall
March 1994 – planted 2 trees in front of church
April 1994 – voted to announce collection each Sunday and give treasurer’
s report at each conference
September 1994 – bought new piano
October 1994 – enlarged fellowship hall
February 1998 – replaced sign in front of church with glass enclosure
May 1998 – put insulation in attic of church
February 1999 – painted and carpeted church
May 1999 – replaced steeple
November 1999 – refinished and padded church benches
34 page celebration of 125 years
Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church